photo 7242d338-72f5-4eec-9baa-661952cdd306.png
H E L L O ! My name is Naomi Shiek (pronounced CHIC).
I've been very fortunate to have my own small independent atelier called Woodland Papercuts. This is my private blog exploring my favorite things in beauty & design.

L E T S__B E__F R I E N D S !
 photo button-instagram_zps318d609b.png  photo button-facebook.png  photo button-flickr.png  photo button-pinterest.png

Friday 21 April 2017

My Summer Foundation | DiorSkin Star review

I'm writing this when I should be working. So get ready for a far-too-long preface because I'm awkward when I need to share any personal information. Actually, I'll be writing this to myself because I'll probably forget all about this in three months or so and I'll need this to remember my foundation routine.

A quick note: I have acne-prone, sensitive, combination skin. 
I am a pale woman. Pale, pale, yellow-tinted white. 
Often dehydrated, my face is swathed in redness, and I have Rudolph's red nose.

I never thought I'd say "my summer foundation". I don't tan, I don't spend time outside. Through trial and error I learned that when beauty companies say their shades are for 'light' or 'fair' skin, and when beauty bloggers say they're "oh so fair, omg!", what they mean is in fact 'less than a suntan'. On me these shades always equaled Oompa Loompa or Pink Marshmallow face. Certainly no foundation in my country's drugstore counters will do.

Until this summer, I made do with concealers. My routine includes color correcting with Loreal True Match concealer in shade N1 Ivory, Loreal Magicque Lumi Highlighting concealer in shade 1 Light, NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly, and MAC Pro Longwear Concealer in NC15.
__________________________________________
Side Note: At some point I bought IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness Correcting Cream, which I realized too late is faaar too orange and dark on me, but due to its masking abilities and hydrating properties made for a great undereye corrector and cream blusher on my skin. In fact, until last month I mostly just used IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness Correcting Cream under the eyes and on my cheeks and nose, and used on the jawline a mix of whichever concealers fit me on the day. You know the cute look of freckles over the nose and apples of the cheeks? This was my version of it!
__________________________________________

If I wore a foundation at all it was either NARS Sheer Glow in Siberia (my perfect match!) or Loreal True Match in W1 (which oxidizes a bit pinkish on me but still pale enough to pass).

Then two days ago I found the DiorSkin Star foundation in the back of my base products drawer. I bought it two years ago when I sank my money into far too many foundations. This one I bought from a Chinese website, which seemed to be the only place that carried shade 011. The reason I looked so hard for this particular shade was that it promised to be a yellow-based shade pale enough to match me (this is before I found NARS' Siberia). Big surprise, it was far too dark on me. I was very disappointed, and banished it far enough into the back of my base products drawer that I'd hopefully forget the sting of spending $80 on it.

So two days ago I pulled out this foundation, and thought I'd use it the same way I use my IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness Color Corrector. Why not? Well, imagine my surprise! It looks great all over! I must have caught some sun sometime because there isn't an obvious foundation line down my neck. There is a teenty-tiny bit of difference, but nothing that needs to be covered up with concealer if I don't feel like it. I am... flummoxed... because NARS Siberia still looks good on me. I guess the difference is in if I want to have my winter shade or my summer shade.
__________________________________________
APPLICATION TIP: I first use MAC Fix Plus as primer to add hydration. >> I apply the foundation with a Beauty Blender. >> I press and roll IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Pressed Powder using its included puff on the T-Zone (center forehead, nose, cheeks, chin) to lock it in. This mattifies the glowing foundation, but that's the look (and durability) I prefer.  >> I brush Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light under the eyes, on the jaw, and down the neck. If needed, I also lightly pass a fluffy face brush with this powder all over the face to remove any white-cast from the IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Pressed Powder. >> I seal it all with Skindinavia's Bridal Finishing Spray.
__________________________________________

OVERALL IMPRESSION: The foundation is glowy. It's a beautiful glow, but on my skin can develop into a high-sheen in a matter of hours unless powdered down with the right formula (as explained above). The scent is mild, not as strong as the Lancome foundation I tried (though that could be because it's two years down the road). The foundation does not emphasize texture, doesn't sink into my lines or pores with or without primer (though it's of course better with a primer) and lasts fantastically throughout the day. More importantly, it doesn't seem to irritate my skin whatsoever!

While oiliness shows through on my nose and chin at the end of the day (close to 12 hours), the foundation is still there (it doesn't disintegrate badly), my undereye wrinkles and crepe texture aren't accentuated, the foundation hasn't sunk into my large pores, and my jaw's dry texture hasn't cracked through. In short, I'm left with a smooth look at the end of the day!

All this, makes DiorSkin STAR foundation in shade 011, my Summer Foundation. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Website content property of Naomi Shiek.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig